Monday, August 29, 2011

Better listener

Phew! I made it through a week without Facebook. In hindsight, if I’m trying to promote a blog, that was a dumb one to do in my second week - right?? Here’s what I learned: Facebook both helps me and hurts me.

There are a lot of people who think that Facebook/social media is a detriment to relationships; that it has replaced real, personal communication. I disagree. I use it to stay in touch with people I don’t normally get to spend a lot of time with – which is most of my friends. I’m busy, they’re busy, and in many cases we live far apart. I love being able to have that connection & share our daily lives. I’ve learned things about friends & acquaintances that I’d never known about them before. I missed my friends this week!

However, I also realized how MUCH time I spend on Facebook. I roll over to turn off my phone alarm in the morning and check it. I take quick breaks from work to check in with friends. When I’m waiting – on Ben, in line, etc, I compulsively check it! And while I truly consider it a social activity and not a waste of time, I’ll concede that this week – I paid better attention to the people with whom I spent time, especially Ben. I was so starved for “updates”, that I think it made me a better listener. I loved getting phone calls from friends, and I even found myself getting jealous of Ben’s phone or laptop. And much like Coke Zero – I think it helped my productivity :)

By his own suggestion, Ben also gave up Facebook for the week (mostly). His new phone is so integrated with social networks that it was nearly impossible to avoid it altogether. Plus, he uses it to get updates from his brother in Baghdad. Who can fault him for that?

Today begins my week without…meat. Please post links to yummy vegetarian recipes!

4 comments:

  1. You can sub Morningstar crumbles into any recipe that calls for ground beef--a win!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are the crumbles by the Morningstar sausage/bacon?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Get the Grillers Crumbles, not the sausage ones. The sausage ones are ok as well but have a bit of a different taste to them and don't sub as well for ground beef in recipes. 1 bag of crumbles = 1 lb of ground beef. Voila!

    Also, you're welcome to some vegetable stock--I bought two of them at the store and apparently they expire in a couple weeks. Don't think I'll use them both by then.

    Also also, I have no idea how to sign up for the RSS feed of my blog. You're smarter than me, you figure it out :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So does that mean you have to be meatless sunday night at Tim and Marna's wedding?

    ReplyDelete