Thursday, September 1, 2011

Meatless is effortless (so far)

I am halfway through my week without meat. Weekdays are easy! My breakfasts are typically vegetarian anyway, so that’s not a sacrifice. Lunch & dinner are vegetarian some of the time, so that hasn’t been too big of an adjustment either. Nutritionally, I think I’m doing about the same, but it *is* making me want to cook a little more. I made Moroccan Lentil Soup and some mini veggie pizzas this week. It’s also making me examine menus differently. I had a vegetarian sub at Jimmy John’s. It was good but fatty because of all of the cheese (I normally have turkey breast/no mayo). The (cute) employee at Oso Burrito recommended the curry burrito with tofu. It was awesome & fed me for two meals!

I’ve had a pretty normal week though - no lunch meetings or parties with pre-planned menus...until now. Tonight was our staff BBQ. Hy-Vee grilled burgers & brats, so I handed them a pack of veggie brats and asked them to throw them on the grill. Tasty! Someone there also mentioned that vegetarians leave a much smaller carbon footprint. I have no idea if that’s true, but if it is, I may make this experiment more of a habit!

Saturday is game day, and I don’t think many of the tailgates or stadium vendors will have a lot of vegetarian (or healthy) entrees. Plus, Sunday I have a wedding to go to, & I know it’s going to have really good food – but vegetarian is doubtful. Maybe I’ll be eating a lot of salad and cake?

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad you like the veggie brats... I can't do them. Veggie burgers on the other hand... MMMMMM! I had a good one today from Trader Joe's. Don't remember exactly what they were called, but it was an Indian Masala flavor. YUM!

    And being a veg is much better for the environment (check out the documentary Food Inc. if you want some inspiration to stop eating meat...).

    Currently, I'm not a veg, but I do try to do at least a couple of meatless days a week. I have found that it's a LOT easier to do in KC. Many more options!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also- This is a cool blog idea! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete